DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

KL Marathon 2005

A journey that starts after Standard Chartered Marathon Dec 04. Did it end in KLIA March 05?

A word from “ADIDAS” -
Impossible Is Nothing

Date: 6 March 05
Event: KLIA Marathon 2005
Time: 0500
Distance: 42.195km


It is a milestone for myself, being the very FIRST Marathon that I had taken part.
Looking back, I just want to proof to myself that if Millions can do the Marathon, so can i? Even though I am not a runner, to be actual an average guy round the block, but I definitely have the ability to complete a Marathon with some serious trainings.

Off I go, weeks after weeks, finding motivations among the lonely night or morning to do my own running. Waking up 5 in the morning is no fun. Running alone is no good. Crossing the finish line will make up for the lonely road ahead i hope.

Strategy for the Big Day

Being my first Marathon, I will be conservative and completion of the run is the key matter. Timing will come secondary when I get more experienced. I will run conservative, walk at all water sessions & if the slopes (expected to be many along the way) are tough, I will walk. Avoid the “WALL” (those who are experience running will understand) at all cost. Expected to complete the run around 4:50-4:55hrs.

To the race actual

4:15am, I have reached Dataran Merdeka alone. I took me around 15mins walked from my Hotel(Impiana) to the venue. Among the crowd, I managed to locate Sukaimi(The lonely Runner) and some of the runners(from Singapore). There are so many people that I couldn’t remember their names(forgive me, I am bad at names).

Before the run, it always good for a nature call first. We tried to find a loo, but to no avail. No choice, we just went behind one of the tree and do some gardening. One of Singapore runner is female and poor gal, she has to endure. I don’t know whether she manage to release the pressure along the run, but it is damn frustrating to carry a full load and run around.

On the starting block, we meet more familiar faces, especially the KL Penguins. Finally get to meet Penguin 6 after these months.

At 5am sharp, the clockl at Dataran Merdeka struck and the race is off. We started off ok. I ran conservatively, a lot of people overtook myself(get use to it already). Along the way, saw interesting folks along the way.

First 10km

It was dark and the urge to go and release the water tank surface again. At 9.5km mark, got behind a highway pillow and do my stuff. Saw one Malay, long hair, with a cap, wearing Jeans and runs with us !!! I only see him around for the first 10km, after that no idea where he is. Most probably way behind. Another outstanding figure is this Korean lady(very skinny) carry a digital camera and runs with it. This lady definitely runs faster than myself. Run, take photo and run again. I was like…har…42km leh…no joke and this lady carry the camera all the way throughout the run and still got time and strength to concentrate on taking photos. Well, everybody runs for different reason, maybe her ideal of running is different from ours. True words from the organizer, water points and sponge points are thoroughly spaced out along the race and this time round(lots of complains last year), all stages are fully equipped with sufficient water. Cold water, 100plus and cold sponges are a welcome relief for everyone. My pace for 10km is pretty decent, slightly lower than 60mins.


First 20km

I should be good for 20km-30km run, then the rest, have to push and pray for the best.
I believe at this stage, I get more relaxed and starting to enjoy myself and look at the surrounding, as the dawn breaks. Throughout this stage, the road seems familiar as I have traveled along the same path yesterday when my friend drove me around. All the negative views I heard previous on KL Marathon has disappeared. The traffic police did a marvelous job (Spore traffic police should learn from them). Throughout the entire run, never have I needed to slow down or jog on the spot, it was always runner fast, car/bike takes a latter stage to the dismayed of the latter. The pace for 20km is pretty good, still within the 60mins per 10km pace and I am feel good.

First 30km

This is going to be the transition period. My normal weekly run is between 20-30km. In fact, I covered only once in 30km. Took my first package of Powerbar Gel around 25km mark. Immediately feel the boost. Throughout this distance feeling good and starting to get a bit bored, I would said. Let try chatting with some runners. I had spoken to one uncle late 40’s. He said he looking at covering 1km at a time. I remind him to count down instead of counting up, and morale wise will be better. I meet up with fellow Singapore runner, one bulky Indian guy which I have seem training in Esplande area and we did a few public runs together though we have never spoken. This is his 8th Marathon. He runs to keep slim, as he informed me during the short run together. Wow. Pompoms gals spotted finally, not bad looking though. Alas, no mood to sian gal lah. Overtook by the lead 21km runners leow lah at this stage as expected. The pace for 30km is still on a 60mins/10k pace. I am surprised. I didn’t expect such timing and I am feeling good.

First 40km

Venture into the unknown feeling good. What more can I asked? On this pace, if I can stay another 60mins/10km pace, I would have cover the entire distance around 4:15hrs. Wow, that is beyond my wildest imagination. Can I do it? The organizer provide another does of Powerbar Gel(unexpected) at one of the water point around 33km. Sigh, I just took out another dose of Gel too and have to put it back. At this point, I SMS my sweetheart to meet up earlier as expected at the finishing point. I want her to see me when I cross the finishing line. At 35km, I can feel the stressed. The arms are getting slightly dumb, OMG am I going to hit the “WALL”….I don’t need this at this moment. Wow piah, the slopes (as advice the ending slopes are killer by those oldies), seow leow. No choice, can’t continue the pace leow. No problem, as expected, shall do the walk and run to the end of the race. My right knee cap is giving way…wtf, how come? I did not overstress the knee? It is agony…I can’t run much. My lungs are good, my legs are a bit stressed, but still okay. My kneecap is killing me. Wah loh…still have a few kilometers to go and this happens. Well, I expected tired body and this kind of problems at this stage. Expecting is one thing, going through it is another. How to survive with this condition is another. I tried to run through it, but could only make about 200metres at a time, as my kneecap just refuse to recover. At this moment, I meet up a Taiwan runner. He came all the way from Taiwan(total 34 of them), just to take part in Marathon !!!! Talking about commitment !!! He has over 50 Marathons under the belt !!! Somehow spoken to him, I managed to jog along him. Strange enough the kneecap recovers. Somehow the slopes force me to continue my walk/run through the last few kilometers. The pace has dropped off, I think I did 1:20hrs for the last 10km. This Taiwan man introduce me to few of his fellow runners along the way, one of the guy carried a camera (seems like a professional) and take pictures. Again, my hearts goes out to him, as he can run and shoot at the same time. Even at this stage of the run!!!

42km

Wow, last 2 km leow, finishing should be at sight shortly. Cool. I continue to do walk/run around the slope to the 1km mark. I can feel it in my bones that the finishing is in front. The body no longer hurts; the lungs get another boost, as I took off for the finishing stretch. What a sight when I turned into the Merdeka Parade and straight in front is the finishing point. OMG, I am going to finish and complete the Marathon. Yeepee, I crossed the finishing line at 4:34:08 seconds.

The End

Nothing feel like having your love ones or family members at the finishing line. My sweetheart waits at the ending point. I handed her the finishing medal that indicates that I am late. This is my first marathon, which in my wildest dream for 30 over years, have not ever crossed my mind that I will completed a Marathon. It is an experience of a lifetime. Will I do that again? The answer will be yes for now. Let me rest my overwork body and see how it goes from here.

Tribute

The person that support me most throughout the journey is my sweetheart. Without her, this will not be possible to achieve. Advice from Marathon runners is valuable. Well wishers from friends motivates me further. The entire journey proof one important factor. If you set your mind and work hard towards it, rewards will come.

Impossible Is Nothing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey! That was a great posting!! very well described...I was amazed u still can remember who u met...or u have this recorded somewhere after your run then u cut and paste here? ha haaa

cheers

kops21 said...

taz,

i have written this after the run, but had it publish on another location. Since the discussion is on KL Marathon, i just post it in this blog to share my experience.